Stomach acid is a vital part of our digestive and overall health. Its main function is to absorb and to protect. It breaks down proteins into essential amino acids and nutrients. It encourages the pancreas and small intestines to produce the digestive enzymes and prevents disease by killing pathogenic bacteria presented in food by using minerals like hydrochloric acid, potassium and sodium.
Indigestion affects up to half of the population. Contrary to popular belief, the root cause of indigestion is low stomach acid and there are numerous consequences. The main being:
- Ineffective protein digestion which can lead to a buildup of toxins in the intestines, which can cause serious illness and disease.
- Mineral deficiencies resulting from the body seeking alternative minerals sources.
Symptoms include: bloating, heartburn, indigestion, diarrhoea and constipation, acne, rectal itching, chronic candida, hair loss in women, food allergies, iron deficiency, chronic fatigue, dry skin and various autoimmune diseases.
Here are some everyday tips for maintaining healthy stomach acid levels and improve overall health:
- Reduce or eliminate sugar
- Incorporate fermented food and drinks to your diet
- Include quality vitamins, minerals and quality probiotics
- Eliminate processed food: and
- Take digestive enzymes with meals
Try this quick home test and check if you have low stomach acid
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 4-6 ounces of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything
- Drink the baking soda solution
- You should belch within the next 5 minutes
When it comes to your health, don’t just follow advice on what you should and shouldn’t do. Find out why. Sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates about health matters.
Health is wealth. Protect it.
CRUDOLIFE: Changing one life at a time through education, nutrition, fitness, community and lifestyle.